Monday, July 20, 2015

Adventure Can Be Found In Walmart

The other day I found myself in a predicament that usually bombards teenagers in the summer.

I was bored. Like, really really bored. So much so that I lay on the floor of my bedroom, admiring the patterns in the paint on the ceiling. It was bad.

I am the type of person who loves to go on adventures, and every once in a while I get the uncontrollable urge to go do something exciting. I must go on an adventure. Hence why I went to Walmart looking for some.

Now I know its not like Walmart has jars labelled "excitement" for sale on their shelves (although Nutella is a close second) but, they do have people, and lots of them. So, for my exciting excursion, I decided to do something that scares me out of my mind: confront people I do not know. Earlier that week I had bought some cute thank you cards from Michael's, thinking that I would use them to appreciate my teachers and church leaders. Little did I know that some extreme boredness would lead me to use those cards for people I didnt even know. 

Let me tell you, one of the best ways to get your adrenaline rush is by handing out thank you cards to strangers. I walked through the aisles of Walmart aimlessly before I found my first person. It was a woman, presumably middle aged, with a list in her hand of food and supplies she needed to get. I could tell she was a woman on a mission. Walking up to her was the hardest part. My voice cracked, my legs shook, and my heart went at five bajillion miles an hour.

"Excuse me, mam?" I said. She looked up in surprise, and our eyes met. Her face looked tired, resting into melancholy wrinkles by her eyes. Oh yes. This was the person I needed to help.

Quickly I explained that the note was to thank her for being so awesome, and that yes, I did not know her. Before I knew it, I was walking away with a grin on my face and warmth in my heart. I continued to do this for five more people, feeling happier with each one.

There are opportunities everywhere for service, you just have to be willing to look hard enough.

And boy, is it oh so fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment