Sunday, February 14, 2016

My Anxiety (Part Two)

It only got worse from there.

Panic attacks soon became a frequent thing, and before I knew it I began to get them over the stupidest things. In fact, I once had a panic attack about getting in the shower. It was that bad.

Thankfully, my mom and dad realized that I was in need of some serious help. So, I went to counseling! When I was younger, I probably would be ashamed to admit something like this. I mean, letting people know that I needed some help figuring out how to work with my beautiful brain sounded preposterous. But now, I realize how much I should be talking about it.

I think most people are afraid to get  mental help because they believe that only the broken things need fixing. Honestly, I thought that too, until I actually did it. Therapy and counseling are a great way to learn the best strategies for working with your disorder, and above all, it gives you someone to talk to about your problems (without that awful "oh my gosh they are probably sick of hearing about this" feeling.) You should never be ashamed to get some assistance. I mean, think of it this way: a cancer patient receives chemotherapy, because in order to fight off their disease, they have to get it. The same principle applies to taking the initiative, and going to counseling.

The severity of my anxiety fluctuates with time, and while I still battle it every day, it has become something that I can manage. I pray that by telling my story, I was able to "normalize" something that can be so foreign, and give hope to those who are struggling with the same things.

Because, there is always hope. No matter how scary the world seems to be.

Happy Valentines Day, my beautiful friends! Take some time today to write down a list of all the things make you happy (like I did here), and spread the love by sharing some of my posts!

Love, Sadie

1 comment:

  1. Sadie. This is so beautiful. It's actually something I really needed to hear. I too have anxiety and it some days is so so hard. It's nice to know that there are other people out there who are fighting the same battle and are winning. It gives me hope. Thank you for being you. I look up to you ALOT your smile quite literally makes my day. Thank you for being such a fabulous example. Love you:) - Kaylee Harper

    ReplyDelete