Sunday, December 6, 2015

Blessed With Imperfections.

It would seem in this life, that all we are striving for is perfection. An unreachable, unattainable, and unrealistic goal that wears us down little by little. We want perfection in our home lives, perfection in our ascent up the corporate ladder, perfection in our thoughts, words, actions, appearance. We crave something that can never be reached, in pursuit of complete joy, but in the process lose all hope of it.

You can never be perfect, but you can be yourself, and that is close enough.

When I was going through the most difficult time with my Body Dysmorphia,  perfection is what I craved more than anything else. I didn't just want to look perfect, I needed to. I would spend hours in front of the mirror to get ready for the day, and if my hair wasn't exactly how I wanted it, my whole outlook would be tainted. I remember once a girl at school ruffled my hair up in pursuit of making it imperfect. Long story short, I cried. In my eyes, looking good was a synonym for feeling good.

That is absolutely not true.

Society's standard of beauty shouldn't ever be in your definition of looking "good". You look good when you are doing good, not when you are wearing the highest heels and your makeup is perfect. If you strive to serve others and make the world a better place, who cares if you have some stretch marks and acne? I should hope that when you help people they will look over your "flaws", and focus on the beautiful things you are accomplishing.

I mean, think about it, no one ever criticized Mother Teresa for her looks.





1 comment:

  1. I always love reading this. It gives me a little more hope everytime I see a flaw in myself. Thanks

    ReplyDelete